Why is Freshpet for Pets Better than Processed Food
Pets are like members of our families. As a pet parent, it’s very important to make conscious, informed choices when it comes to food and nutrition.
Would you rely solely on processed foods as the primary source of nutrition for your kids? Pretty sure the answer is No.
Animals are no different than humans, especially when it comes to appreciating the importance of a fresh, nutritious diet. A balanced, fresh, and nutritious diet goes a long way in contributing not only to long and healthy lives, but also to the psychological well-being of our pets.
Processed foods are loaded with carbs, contain dubious protein contents, and do not include vitamins, minerals, and nutrients essential for a balanced diet.
Furthermore, as a direct result of consuming processed foods, pets exhibit a wide range of problems which include:
- Skin conditions
- A wide range of other health issues
Once you understand the adverse long-term effects of a processed diet, you’ll begin to see the importance of fresh foods. Fresh, natural meals are beneficial for pets in a number of ways.
Here are a few reasons why you should not only choose fresh foods for your family, but for your pets too.
Fresh Foods Have The Right Portions of Nutrients
Just like humans, pets need to be on a healthy, balanced diet. A balanced diet provides your pets with the right amount of calories to meet their daily needs for growth, activity, and repair.
A balanced diet is defined as one which contains the right proportions of the six major nutrient groups:
Protein– These are the building blocks for strong muscles, growth, and development. High quality sources of proteins such as meats, eggs, soybean, etc should be included into your pets’ diet.
Fats/oils–A certain amount of fats and oils, commonly referred to as essential fatty acids, are required as part of your pets’ diet. They provide energy, promote a healthy heart, add flavor to food, and keep your pets’ coat shiny and healthy.
Vitamins–These are essential for providing energy, maintaining strong bones and teeth, and healthy skin and a shiny coat. Natural sources of vitamins are necessary to ensure your pet is getting the nutrition it needs.
Minerals–These nutrients are crucial for the functioning and development of your pet’s bodies. They aid in the formation of bone and cartilage, assist nerve and muscle function, hormone production, transportation of oxygen in the bloodstream, and the coordination of a number of body functions.
Carbohydrates – Carbohydrates provide energy when broken down into simple sugars. These are essential for maintaining optimum sugar levels in the blood. Carbs also contain fiber – sometimes referred to as ‘nature’s broomstick’ - which is very important for healthy digestion.
Water–Water is as essential for your pets as it is for you. In addition to having moisture content in their foods, your pets should always have access to clean and fresh water.
Fresh Foods Get the Portions Just Right
Meals made from fresh, natural ingredients need to be cooked carefully to ensure they are balanced. Most commercially produced pet food ignore the dietary needs of pets. These meals are ‘carb heavy’ that pay no regard to the appropriate portions of essential nutrients. Processed meals are not ‘biologically complete diets’. They contain a host of ingredients such as flavor enhancers, dyes, and chemicals that can result in long-term health problems in pets.
Fresh Foods Offer Healthier, More Nutritious Diets
The best part about fresh foods is that they are healthier and you, as a pet parent, have complete knowledge and control over what goes in them. For instance, with natural fresh foods, there are no dubious labels which simply state ‘meat’ without specifying what type of meat is being used.
Pet foods prepared with fresh and natural ingredients come with quite a few benefits:
- One reason why these foods retain their nutritional content and value is that they are minimally cooked. They are also full of natural enzymes and biologically active essential fatty acids
- They are made using fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, poultry, and grains – in other words, quality ingredients – whose nutritional value is preserved
- They contain biologically appropriate sources of fiber
- Contain no refined sugars or salts
- Are rich in antioxidants
Fresh Foods Have No By-products, Preservatives, or Fillers
Here are a few examples of some of the ingredients used in processed pet foods which are dubious and harmful.
Processed pet foods:
- Are full of indigestible grain based fibers added as cheap fillers which are harmful to your pets
- Contain inadequate levels of vitamins, and do not take into account the fact that some pets may have a higher vitamin need than others
- Contain biologically inappropriate antioxidants
- Are loaded with refined sugars and salts, chemicals, flavorings, and food dyes
- As the ingredients are heated and cooked, complexes begin to form between proteins and starches, vitamins and trace minerals, and also between different minerals. This results in carcinogens and anti-immunogens
- Contain meat by-products or meat meal – this includes the head, feet, entrails, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, liver, stomach, bones, blood, intestines, and any other part of the carcass of an animal not fit for human consumption
- Contain indigestible minerals, essential amino acids and vitamins
- Have denatured enzymes, that act as slow poisons causing a host of health problems
Fresh Foods are More Cost Effective
Feeding your pets processed foods can be quite expensive, especially if you have more than one pet. Typically, pet owners mix dry kibble with a certain amount of moist dog food, the cost of which, adds up.
For instance, according to data from The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), the average monthly cost of feeding a medium to large dog is $120-$235. That translates to about $4-$8 a day.
Feeding your dog a diet full of fresh and natural ingredients is more economical. That’s because you can choose what ingredients go into the meal. The cost of this type of diet will vary upon the types of ingredients used, and the quantity prepared. Pet food full of fresh ingredients work out to be more cost effective in the long run because there are:
- No manufacturing costs, or minimized manufacturing costs since this food isn’t thoroughly cooked
- No need to use expensive preservatives, dyes, and chemicals
- No fillers used, which add on price but contain no nutrition
Fresh Foods Are Tailor Made To Your Pets’ Specific Dietary Needs
Every pet is unique, and so are their dietary needs. Pets may suffer from specific allergies or intolerances which your run-of-the-mill processed foods don’t take into account.
In addition, studies have shown that pets on a processed food diet are more susceptible to developing a wide range of problems such as:
- Degenerative diseases such as arthritis
- Auto immune disorders
If your pet has an intolerance or an allergy, you need to consider which foods to feed them. For example, if your pet has a grain allergy, you need to make sure their food is grain free, or made from gluten-free grains.
What Sets Freshpet Products Apart
As a concerned pet owner, you’d want to switch to healthy, fresh foods. However, due to the fact that many pet parents work full time, or have other obligations, it may not always be feasible to make fresh foods for your pets.
This is where Freshpet comes in.
Freshpet is a pet food company that is committed to providing pet owners with a wide range of fresh meal options made from all natural ingredients. These meals are diverse and take into account a number of different dietary needs.
Here’s what sets Freshpet products apart:
- All foods are prepared using fresh, locally farmed, meats, poultry, fruits, vegetables, and high fiber grains from the United States
- Meals are cooked in small batches at a very low temperature in order to preserve key nutrients
- No rendered meals or pre-cooked meats are used in Freshpet recipes
To illustrate the composition of a Freshpet meal, here is a breakdown of the ingredients that are available in every pound of Freshpet meals or rolls:
- At least 9 oz. of poultry, meat, or fish
- 2 oz. of Liver
- 1 oz. of Egg
- 2 oz. of fruits & vegetables
- 18 Essential Vitamins & Minerals
A Synopsis: Why Fresh Food For Pets is the Better Option
Making conscious, well-informed decisions about what you choose to feed your pets is imperative. A natural, healthy diet composed primarily of fresh foods boasts a number of long-term benefits. These include:
- Increased overall energy
- Weight control and management
- Better digestion
- Better overall health
- Alleviation of allergies and skin problems
- Reduction of the risk of illnesses and diseases
- Better overall organ function
- Strengthening of the immune system
- Reduction and elimination of ‘hot spots’ , where pets frequently itch or lick
- Increased quality of life and longevity
To begin feeding your pets fresh foods, here are a few things that you should keep in mind:
What to Include Into Your Pets’ Diet:
- Fresh, ideally locally raised, meats and poultry as the primary ingredient – chicken, lamb, fish, beef, etc.
- Organic eggs
- Green, leafy vegetables such as spinach as well as vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes
- Pet friendly fruits such as apples, cranberries, and blueberries
- Omega fatty acids, probiotics, antioxidants, glucosamine, and various other natural supplements
- Natural preservatives such as rosemary extract or vitamins C and E
Foods to Eliminate/Avoid In Your Pets’ Diet:
- Meat by-products – beaks, organs, hooves, and other parts of animals which are inedible
- Unhealthy, generic fats such as animal fats
- Wheat, corn, and soy
- Chemicals such as added artificial colors and dyes, and flavors or preservatives like propylene glycol, butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)
Switching from processed meals to a more biologically appropriate and fresh diet becomes a no-brainer once you know all the facts. Fresh meals for your pets contain all the essential nutrients they need to grow, develop, recover, and thrive. These meals are made with wholesome ingredients that retain their nutritional content and value. Unlike processed foods, fresh meals do not contain any harmful or dubious fillers, by-products, or chemicals. Freshpet offers a wide range of different meals for pets and caters to a number of pallets and dietary needs. As a responsible and caring pet parent, it is your job to ensure that your pet receives the best nutrition possible and available.